Brandon is teaching a 4-week beginner class on making games on Skillshare, starting next month! We’ve worked with Skillshare in designing a course that’s easy to digest, and worked with Unity and Hutong Games in providing top students with awesome free tools. If you have been playing games and been on the sideline waiting to dive into game development, this is a great first step!
Start Making Games!
What do you do when you have a great idea for a game but no programming background? Before you give up, let me introduce you to the world of indie game development. With the technology and tools available today, you can start creating the game you’ve always wanted to make as soon as, well, today!
Who is This Class for?
What You Will Need
- Put aside 7-10 hours a week for 4 weeks as we dive into the process of game development.
- A modern PC / Mac with 3D graphic compatibility (if you bought your computer in the past 5 years, it should be good enough.)
- Download and install the Unity3D game engine http://www.unity3d.com/. We will be using Unity 3D for this class. Don’t worry about the seemingly complicated interface. We will go over it in the class – piece of cake!
- Students will be provided a special version of popular Unity 3D Tool – PlayMaker! This is the tool that enables us to create games without writing codes.
What You Will Create
Together with the class, we will re-create two gaming classics to get you started with game development – Breakout and Doodle Jump! Feedback will be provided throughout the course and be sure to attend the weekly Office Hour on Google Hangout for Q&A. We will build these two games for computers – PCs and Macs, and towards the end of the course we will discuss what to do if you want to build games for mobile, tablets, browsers, and/or consoles.
- Top student to receive a Unity 4 Pro license ($1500)
- Top 3 students to receive a PlayMaker commercial license ($95)